Saturday, March 26, 2005
 
Games are like Icebergs
They both take out thousands of players when they crash.

No, seriously. I was referring to the old analogy of an iceberg being 90% underwater, so you never see it. In the same way, game development is 90% unseen.

As an example, I wrote 90% of the gameplay for FlipBall in the first day (maybe two days). I already knew how I wanted the game to play, so it was just a question of organizing a program to reflect that gameplay. That was the 10% that people see.

Now, I've spent the last few days working on the other 90%. Sound, dialogs, gameplay refinement. This is 90% of the work, and most of it is totally ignored by the player. They just expect it to be there. For instance, I put in a "Resign" button, for when the player feels that they just can't finish a level. Even though it took me time to do, most people will never realize that it was there, or know what the game was like without it. I put in a registration screen, a hyperlink in the main game, and a web page that would let people register the game. Even though that took a lot of work, and won't even be seen in the full version, nobody's going to recognize that work.

Not that I'm bitching about it. I know this is just part of the development process. I just realized how easy it is to look at a game in development and say, "So, it's done, right?" and not understand why the developer says they still need weeks or months to finish it.

BTW, I expect to be finished with this one by the end of this week. All that's left (gameplay-wise) is difficulty levels, and I already have an idea how to do that.

After that, I'm thinking I'll either start on a new game, or port this one to the PocketPC.

Check out the Website! (Work in Progress)

I also figure I'm going to submit it to PopCap soon. Cross your fingers for me.


Powered by Blogger
Visitors since October 7th, 2004

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.