Sunday, February 27, 2005
 
So you wanna be a game programmer?
Occasionally, I'll get a question along the lines of, "How do I break into video games?"

After many iterations, this is the answer that I think works best:

There are many paths to breaking into games. Personally, I applied to
every video game company I could find as soon as I graduated college.
I ended up moving across the nation to work as the first junior
programmer Microprose had ever hired. For that path to work, you have
to be willing to accept low pay, long hours, and hard work just to
prove that you can do it.

Another path I've seen is to work your way up from another job. Many
people graduate from QA into development. Usually, they become
designers or artists, but programmers are not unheard of.

What I think is probably the path of least resistance, is to write
your own games, sell them or give them away, and use them as proof of
experience in a job interview. Remember, the most important thing in
applying for a game programming job is experience. Game Programming is
not exactly like any other type of programming, because it is heavily
user-centric, heavily random, and heavily optimized for speed (many of
the best speed hacks have come from video game programmers).

It may seem daunting to say 'write your own games', but I'm not saying
that you have to write a AAA title by yourself. Consider writing a
smaller, common game (Battleship, Reversi, Space Invaders, Pong), then
extending it to show that you know how it works (make the game
multiplayer, put in your own special effects, improve the gameplay to
make it the way you think the game 'should have been made'). There are
books out there that show how to write games, specifying what needs to
be done for the gameplay engine, graphics, sound, networking, and AI
(Andre LaMothe is making serious bank on the subject). You probably
only need to read one to understand the underlying code path that most
games follow. The most important thing is to have a product that plays
well, looks smooth, and shows that you know how to put the game
together.

Another path to writing your own game is to build it off of someone
else's engine. For $100 USD, you can buy a licence for the 'Torque'
engine from GarageGames.com. This is an engine that has been used for
several professional games, and has a lively development community.
It's easier to look at a fully-developed FPS engine, and think of ways
to enhance it than it is to write your own from scratch.

Once you've got your game (or games) developed, apply to companies
near you, and don't get discouraged. With recent layoffs in several
major game studios, there is more experienced talent than there are
jobs, so it's pretty cutthroat.

P.S. I hate to burst your bubble, but I can almost guarantee you that
you are walking into a pay scale far lower than you had before. I
can promise you hard work, long hours, aggravating company politics,
and no bonus. They will tell you that there's a bonus scheme in place,
but after seven years in the industry and three shipped games, I have
never received a bonus for shipping a game. Bonuses always disappear
in the detailed definition of the bonus system, or they are delayed
until people stop asking for them.



So, anyone have anything to add to that? Bruce, I know you read this occasionally, and you're a pretty clever game programmer. Anything I left out?


Update: Sam de Pauw pointed out something I'd missed. Talent. It's pretty easily recognizable and absolutely crucial to video game development. The most fool-proof way to recognize talent is by job experience. In an interview, experience says more about your worth than your appearance, social skills, or educational background.

,

Comments:
I have one to add to it.

Sheer talent and luck .. My husband used to work at Acclaim all those months ago and now he is working at Pseudo Interactive. He has never had any college education, in fact he learned how to program on an old BBC computer way back in the day. He has no college degrees but he does have the experience. 18 games under his belt and still he loves the work. You have no idea how many people have told me they would love to be in this business but I don't think they really know what its like. I speak of course from the side of the wives. Anyway, keep on with the blogging, still enjoying it a lot.
 
That's absolutly right. I'd wanted to mention that, but I totally forgot about it.

A college degree is NOT a prerequisite to this industry, and it can even be a hinderance in some instances. When I said that the most important thing was experience, I meant exactly that. It's more important than communication skills, more important than level of education, more important than anything. When my wife was 16, she was offered a job in the game industry, because she had published a racing game by herself. The ability to make games is a rare and wonderful talent, and those who can do it are worth . . . well, certainly more than they get paid.

I miss the old gang. It's been six months now, I miss the Daves, I miss the ascerbic Mr. Williams, the stoic Mr. Cooner, the Kyle clan, and even Malc. :)

Thanks again, Sam. It's great to see that someone's still reading, and I'll try to update more often. Also, I'll add your comment to the main post.
 
Have to agree with Bruce about the long hours and the financial rewards that never come from them. As the wife of a prgrammer I know what its like to sit at home and wait for the call saying "sorry gotta work late"

The way I dealt with it ... I got myself a punchbag ... So much better to beat the hell out of that than commit mass murder and spend the next few years of your life in prison over a computer game. Although I am sure I did read somewhere that people are now threatening to kill others over which online game is better than another. Such is the world these days.
 
I get the same exact question, Brand. I respond with Thom's Standard Speech # 87. :)

Find all local developers (http://www.austingamedevelopers.org). Knock on the door; give them your resume, tell them how excited you are to work in computer games, and how you'll do ANYTHING, work at the lowest levels, just give you a chance. Keep coming back every other month. Meanwhile, work on your skillz.
Eventually they will have a project that needs short-term testers, or scriptors, or QA personnel. They will contact you and you will be in the door.

NOW, while you cheerfully and efficiently do the job they ask of you, identify the artists, especially the lead artists. Occasionally go up and ask them a question about art. What's that on their screen? It looks great! How'd they do that?
Ask them for help with art you're doing. Does this look right? I can't get that shader to work; how would he do it? The point is, let the right people 1) know you exist, and 2) know you have SOME skillz. Make it clear to everyone that you
like working there, and you really want a career in game development.

Later, the Producer and the Lead Artist will sit around, and the producer will say, "Boy, we need more artwork, but I don't have any more money in the budget."
The Lead Artist will then say, "Hey, what about that kid?" Boom! You're in!

That's how it works. That's how it worked for me, and for so many of the professionals I worked with.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger
Visitors since October 7th, 2004

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.