Thursday, May 19, 2005
 
My brief brush with greatness
My friends know this story, but I don't think I've told it here, so here goes:

A few years back (wow, it must have been about 4 years or so) I was sent to E3 as an emissary for the Microprose game "Gunship!" The setup was pretty simple: there were two of us in the booth. One would play the game, while the other talked about how great the game was to whoever seemed to be interested in it. Occasionally, one of us would take a break and walk around the floor, while the other one manned the station.

Now, at the time, you could tell just what Atari thought of Microprose, by how much floor space they gave us. Atari had one large cylinder of space, separated into pie wedges, and you could tell how popular you were by how big your companies wedge was. The corporate dealmakers section took up 50% of the pie, Hasbro Interactive (for kids) took up another 25%, Atari took up 15%, which left Microprose . . . cramped.

To add to that, we had a 12-foot tall statue of a MechWarrior in the center of our little pie wedge, and half a dozen games to display.

I guess what I'm getting at is, that it felt really crowded. It was especially crowded at one point where my demo partner decided to take a break. He was off walking the floor, while I played the game and answered questions about it. It was getting pretty close in there, and I scooted my seat forward to let traffic by, when over my shoulder, I saw a gaggle coming toward us.

It was a clump of people so big, that I could only judge the size of it by where the boom mikes and light stands were set up at it's perimeter. The gaggle moved slowly, inexorably, toward our station, and I thought to myself "Okay, this is our big break. Some TV show's going to be recording this section, so I gotta keep my mind on the game and show off how cool it is."

People pressed into our section, pushing me so close to the computer that I tilted the keyboard up to rest on my chest. I still didn't turn around to look, I just kept blowing things up, and demoing the targetting system, and generally making the game look as graphically intensive as possible. Suddenly, there was a furry head in my peripheral vision, so close to me that I thought it was resting on my shoulder. The man with the glasses and scruffy beard said, "Wow, this looks really good. You guys have done some good work."

I had to stop myself from recoiling. I mean, it was totally unexpected, and I was so intent on making the game look good, I hadn't even noticed this hanger-on watching the game. So, I did my best to seem cordial, saying, "Um. Thanks. Well, we're doing our best."

The furry man patted my shoulder, and moved on. About a minute later, the rest of the gaggle moved on. I turned to one of the booth babes in the Kids area (yes, Hasbro really did hire a sexy blonde to sell kids stuff in a short skirt and shorter apron) and asked her what that crowd was all about. She said to me, wide-eyed, "You don't know? That was Steven Spielberg!"

I was beating myself up about that for the rest of the day. Did I shake his hand, no. Did I introduce myself, no. In fact, when he said we were doing great work, did I say, "Oh, yeah. Well, you did a good job on Indiana Jones." No. At the time, the best I could do was to keep from recoiling.

Later, I found out that Spielberg is a huge fan of European Air War, another project I had worked on. So, I had something I could have chatted with him about, if I had just thought of it. Ach. I can't believe I'm still beating myself up about that four years later.

According to one news article, Spielberg said that he was introduced to European Air War by Robin Williams, who he referred to as his "digital pimp". Somehow, the idea of Steven Spielberg and Robin Williams sitting down to play a game that I made . . . I don't know. . . it just seems so freakin' cool. Sort of like the way Upton Sinclair must have felt when he found out that Theodore Roosevelt was reading "The Jungle". Okay, that's an obscure reference, but surprisingly apt.

Comments:
i know the feeling, recognition from the people you'd think barely knew you existed. and from the people you'd never think would even talk to you/about you.
i doubt you could have said anything better at the point.. at least you thanked him.. rather than gush all over if you had recognized him:P
 
Maybe you should chat him up about a new project: Gunship! The Movie. ;)

Did you know Gunship had another 15 seconds of fame on TV?

On "The West Wing", there was a scene in a New Hampshire tavern. It opened on someone playng a video game machine in the corner, showing several seconds of Gunship!. (A Eurocopter Tiger spinning down into a crash, IIRC.) The storyline had something to do with a helo down somewhere, I think.

A product placement deal? Or was it another media mogul sim fan? :)

Glad to see things are well with you, Brand. Great Blogs!

cheers
 
Y'know, I was wondering why I suddenly got a huge burst in traffic. I had to go tracking it down to my old pals at SimHQ. Howdy, fellas.

I had no idea Gunship! was on TV, much less, one of my favorite shows. Now I have to go looking for that episode. Thanks FNG2K !

And if it was product placement, we sure as hell didn't see any cash from it. :)
 
Well, fng2k passed your blog along to us, and you'll be glad to know EURO AIR WAR (EAW)is alive and well and heavily modded by its fans.
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=41&submit=Go

You can fly all over WWII from Russia (Soviet Union)to the Pacific in large formations. Hundreds of planes and mods to choose from. This old babe has gotta have something going for her!

Never know when Steven Spielberg and Robin Williams are lurking :)
---Wudpecker
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger
Visitors since October 7th, 2004

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.