Thursday, January 06, 2005
 
Riot
[ Warning: GTA Spoilers ]


In the last few missions of GTA: San Andreas, the game is radically altered. Burned out cars litter the streets. Cops jump out of burning cruisers that coast down the street before exploding. People are looting, fighting, and killing. The sky changes color only between different shades of an oppressive red. Fires are lit all through the city, making the whole city burn.

It is truly excellent.

Here's the cool thing. I've been playing that game for months; Now, out of nowhere, the game feels like new again. There is a new element of danger that didn't exist before. The whole world is harder, angrier, and much cooler.

Suddenly, I find myself wondering, "Hey, I wonder what it looks like downtown?" and "Hey, If I base jump in the middle of the riots, will I be able to see all the fires and killer homies?" "I wonder what the VineWood sign looks like now?" I start running through the streets, totally ignoring my missions, just so I can see all the cool new stuff in this world.

This is, needless to say, a pretty rare thing in games. It's not often that you see a game where the developers are willing to change the overall fabric of the world just to show this cool effect. Occasionally, you will see an alternative version of the level you walked through before ("This is what the world would be like, little one, if you do not save us all!"), but usually, those are in pre-scripted missions with a very similar map, and different textures.

Now GTA is a generally unique game, because they allow far more freedom than other games. But was it the open architecture that allowed them to completely change the world? I don't think so. I think it was the will to do it that made the difference.

Whenever you see that world-shift in other games, it is temporary, cosmetic, and brief. If you think about it, an "alternate world" is just another level for the gamemakers. In fact, it's easier than that, because you only have to edit the current one, rather than build a whole new one. I think, the only reason game developers don't cotton to that idea much, is that they don't believe in the coolness factor. I think they see it as a gimmick, something that's kinda cool, but not that big a deal.

I started thinking about this, and came up with the following idea. Going along with the original ideal for Fable, and to a limited extent KOTOR 2, what if you made the entire world shift constantly to fit your current player needs.

In Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, everything bends slightly in the path of the beam. "The Beam" is a lay line of power that runs through the world, unseen. While you can't see the Beam, if you look at a forest, you will see tree branches leaning slightly in that direction. You will see subtle paths in the grass that flows in the way of the beam. You will see leaves falling slightly against the wind, in the path of the beam. The clouds seem to flow in that direction. It is the kind of effect that can't be seen when you look at any one of those, but when you let your view relax, the lines are there, clear as day.

Now, imagine you changed a game world to work like that. Not necessarily using the "Beam" analogy, but just set your game objects to subtly change based on current situations in the game. For instance, imagine this: You set up a "dirty" texture that blends with the standard diffuse texture to make the image of a house. As the player commits more evil deeds, the "dirty" texture gains opacity, making the house look dirtier. At the same time, you set the house's mesh to become slightly tilted, angular, evil. You could create about eight versions of each building (from friendly and rounded, to dirty and angular) and pick the texture and mesh based on the player's "evil" rating.

Now, there would need to be limitations, of course. It's a huge undertaking to make multiple meshes for all the buildings in a game. However, the argument could be made that you only need to do multiple meshes on the highest level of detail mesh, so if you say eight levels of detail for each building, and eight versions of the highest LOD mesh, you only have 15 meshes per building. It's still a lot of work, but it's adjustable depending on how much work you want to do.

Now, there would be multiple uses for this, other than the "evil house" analogy. You could make the entire world catch fire, or switch to a translucent X-ray view, or turn slowly into Smurf huts.

Oh, this would be cool. What if you were doing a "Back to the Future" kind of game, where you have to save the world before it all disappears. As you're playing the game, the world could slowly devolve, not just by losing opacity, but by changing its very mesh (picture the Escher building they used in "Memoirs of an Invisible Man").

The idea of changing the world to fit new situations in the game is an extremely attractive and seductive one to the player. I just hope more developers can see that it's worth the expense.

Comments:
That's a great concept. I like the post, and the blog. You should add an RSS feed so people can remember to check back when you have updates (maybe you have one and I just missed it somehow).

Anyway, about the idea of changing the world to suit the players attitude/progress, I've seen it done to a good degree in a game before: Black & White. Have you tried that game? In that game, you are God essentially, and at your whim you can either kill villagers, or help them. The more evil acts you do, the more sinister and dark the game world becomes. Also, you have control of a creature who is essentially your earthly representative. The more evil you are, the more evil looking the creature becomes. It's really pretty neat. The game was a bit flawed though, but fun to play and a good ambitious concept. I hope they fix things with Black and White 2.

Computer Games, Java Programming, etc from a Senior EngineerKevin
 
There should be an RSS feed already available. I use Firefox, so there's a little orange icon at the bottom of my screen to let me know when I can get an RSS feed. I'll try to make it more noticeable, though.

I've played B&W, but I only played about four levels in, because after a while it becomes just another resource allocation game.

B&W was incredibly innovative for its avatar (the creature). The whole idea that you could train an animal to be good or evil was just awesome to behold. However, I don't remember the world itself molding to fit the player.

I remember the hand (your cursor) would turn into a thin claw as you became more evil, and that the animal would either become good or bad depending on how you trained it (God help me, I made my tiger so kind, it turned into the pink panther).

However, the feeling in B&W is that you are changing the world. If you are a god, it only makes sense that you would change the world. If, on the other hand, you are Joe Average, watching the world change around you based on your actions would be surprising, powerful, and even a bit overwhelming.

Just a thought.
 
interestingly enough i hold to that philosophy in the real world..
as far as the virtual world goes, it'd be an ultra cool game..
 
Sorry, I must have missed that icon in firefox for your site. I normally look for an XML icon somewhere on the site and I didn't see one. Might be good to add one to make it easier for some (including the ones like me who do use Firefox, but forget to look for that icon in the statusbar.

About B&W, I think you are right about the world not completely changing. I didn't get too far into it either. I usually like RTS games in the beginning, but they get boring and/or hard to manage as the game progresses.

BTW, do you work in the gaming industry? If so, any advice for how to get a foot in the door? I have a feeling, since I don't have any game development experience myself, I may have to take a job as a QA tester or something. Just not ready to take the huge pay cut just yet.
 
I've been working in the video game industry for the last seven years, which encompasses my entire professional life. I got my start right out of college as the first junior programmer that Microprose had ever hired. Two years later, I was the youngest lead programmer Microprose had ever employed. Now that Microprose is dead, I suppose I'll hold those titles forever.

To go from a Senior Software Engineer to a QA tester would be a huge pay cut. However, you may not want to try working your way up from QA. Because you already have a software engineering background, you might want to try out as a programmer. A route that might work for you would be to get experience in games before applying to a company. For instance, write your own Flash games (start with tic-tac-toe, move to whack-a-mole) and just try to create more and more complex games. Read some of the LaMothe series (good game programming books for beginners). Join some people on a group game project (check the GarageGames forums for people who are making group games). I guess the key thing is to have some games you can bring with you to a job interview, games that show prior experience.

Also, before you decide to join the game development ranks, read the post by EA-Spouse "EA: The Human Story". Read it through a couple of times, and realize that this is not a story about EA. That post is a story about video game development. The complaints that EA-Spouse makes are the same I've heard from every company I've worked with, and nothing has ever happened to fix it. We are too skilled to be given overtime pay, but we are required to work ridiculous overtime anyway. The money is not the best, and it is not representative of our work. The only reason people stick around in the game industry is because of a passion for games. In the two years that I worked for Acclaim, literally half of my time was spent in mandatory overtime (10a.m. to 10p.m. or worse).

Also, the industry is currently choked with talent (at least, it is here in Austin). You can still find openings in California, but that's about it.

If I haven't succeeded in scaring you off yet, then I wish you luck. This is one of the worst jobs in the world to have, but you get to work with some of the best people in the world. It tells you something that I can complain about it, then turn right around and try to get back into that life.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger
Visitors since October 7th, 2004

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.