Friday, December 10, 2004
 
More Experiment Results
On day one of my experiment, I shut off all BlogExplosion promotion, and found that I got about ten visits, with an average of one page view per visit. This makes sense, because people who come to the site without advertisements, have probably already read the background stuff, and are probably just reading the new day's story.

Yesterday, day two of the experiment, I turned on the banner ads, but left the normal surfer promotion starved for credits. On that day, I got around forty visits with around eighty page views. And, looking at the data, it was a more consistent two page views per person. So, it could be argued that the banner ads provide more "real" viewers.

As a side note, the experiment gave me a chance to see where a lot of my visits were coming from. Most were from the banner ads, but I also saw a few from "Preponderance of Ponderings", SEV's blog, and a couple of new ones. I'm apparently listed on Swift's blog, and del.icio.us, so that's cool too. I'll be putting up buttons to their sites soon.

So, anyway, when I was applying 100 credits to the blog every day, and funding the banners as well, I was getting about 100 to 130 visits a day, and only 110 to 150 in page views, so that comes to about one page view per person. Now most of that can obviously be seen as the 100 credits I had put into the blog, but I think the blog's "popularity" is growing more through the banners than the surfers.

It makes sense, because people who click on the banners are people who are already curious about my warped imaginings (as compared to those who are just 'doing time' for their thirty seconds). I'm seriously thinking about just paying for the banners, and ignoring the surfing credits.

Speaking of banners, hey, click on the picture of the IPod, and help me win it, so I can get rid of that red banner up top. If you sign up for the Video Professor, you can immediately cancel and you can be on your way to getting an IPod of your own.

Comments:
I'm a regular reader of your site but get all the posts via RSS/Atom so don't really "visit" it as such.

I've "turned off" BlogExplosion (by not logging onto it to generate credit) and have also found that I get very few hits. Such is life :-)

(Think google and msnbot visit me the most!)

Alistair - http://www.0gravity.co.uk/
 
Wow, I didn't think anyone actually used the RSS thing. Hmm. . . I see I'm linked on your blog. Do you want a button?
 
the link to my delicious page is wrong, it contains a part of your url.
flevour
 
Weird. I'm sorry about that. Don't know how that happened. Should be fixed now.

Tell me if it's still not working.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger
Visitors since October 7th, 2004

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.