Thursday, October 21, 2004
 
Is it the movies, or is it me?
There are movies out there that I know I should want to see. Some movies look like I would like them if I would only give them a chance, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Right now, it's 'Garden State' and 'I heart Huckabees'. These are independent films, the kind of comedy that I usually love. So far from Hollywood, it's hard to believe they use the same type of film. In the past, I've got this reluctant feeling about movies, and it's turned out a mixed bag. For instance, I was a little reluctant to see 'Donnie Darko' or 'Requiem for a Dream', and those movies have been burned indelibly on my mind as examples of what film should be. However, I went to see 'Code 46' and 'The Grudge', and I was bored out of my mind. 'Code 46' was like three minutes of good ideas buried inside an hour and a half of pathos. Now I seem to be gun shy about any new indie films.

What's really sad is that I'm starting to watch indie films like they were Hollywood films. With a Hollywood film, a stupid idea can be great (if it's handled by the right people), while a great idea can wither and die. Now, when somebody says 'I heart Huckabees' is really good, and I ask them, "Really? Who made it?" As though name recognition should be reason to see a film.

Why am I so hesitant about seeing indie films these days? Are they getting worse, or am I just more frugal because I'm unemployed?

I should point out that this hesitancy only applies to indie films. I'm going to be the first one in line for 'The Incredibles' when it comes to town. I guess I feel more assured by a known quantity than an unknown one these days.


Powered by Blogger
Visitors since October 7th, 2004

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.