Monday, December 13, 2004
 
Acclaim Austin Auction - The Precursor Legend
So I went back to Acclaim for the first time in about a month. We were viewing all the Acclaim property up for grabs before the auction tomorrow. I saw a few friends there, but a lot of angry looking, older people who seemed to be there for the sheer mercenary pleasure of the auction. I try not to be angry with them, because really, they're just doing the same as everyone else. Still, it feels like a family member just died, and we're watching people go through their clothes, digging through delicates and arguing about how much they're willing to pay.

The whole place was gutted worse than last time, with everything moved into rooms devoted to their items. I walked into a room that was full from floor to ceiling with a wall of phones stacked on top of each other. Standing just in front of the phones was a woman talking to someone on her cel. Man, sometimes I wish I had a camera phone just for those unintentionally ironic moments.

Anyway, there was a room devoted to Wacom tablets, a room devoted to PS2 Dev systems, a room for XBox dev systems, and room after room of systems. Man, I had no idea there were that many. I'm hoping to pick up a dual Xeon 2.4ghz machine, like the one I was working on in my office. It was sweet. If I get it, it'll be the first system in the house that can run Doom3. Hah!

Still, I'm over Doom3. By the time you get to hell, the game just seems all downhill. I'm really more into creating a better server for FTP, Apache, and other stuff. What I'm using right now is entirely capable, but it is getting old.

Back to the auction. For the first time, I was allowed to go into the main server room, where we had racks of systems from floor to ceiling. It felt like an Intel ad, or one of those ads that's trying to convince you that Windows makes a good server. Now, I'm not as tech as some people there, so maybe this makes perfect sense, but I saw an oscilloscope in the middle of one of the server racks. Is it just me, or is that really old school?

The thing that really got me was one box that was clearly made up of stuff taken out of somebody's office. I happen to know it was Bruce Cooner's office, and I'm tempted to win that box of stuff just so that I can send it back to Bruce. Well, maybe. I might keep the Vexx doll.

Anyway, we'll see what happens tomorrow. Tomorrow, they're having the actual auction.


Powered by Blogger
Visitors since October 7th, 2004

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.